Man kills 3-year-old daughter, then commits suicide | News
LONGMONT, Colo. -- Longmont police say a man who had custody of his 3-year-old daughter for the weekend shot and killed her and then shot himself to death.
Investigators say the girl's mother dropped her off at the house in the 1200 block of Red Mountain Dr. Friday afternoon.
She went to pick her up Sunday, but couldn't reach the father. She called police to ask them to conduct a welfare check. That's when police found the man and girl dead.
Investigators say the 38-year-old man left a suicide note.
"It appears to be pretty straight-forward, but we still need to make sure that we look at all the angles and just make sure that it's presenting as indicated," Longmont police spokesman Jeffrey Satur says.
Neighbors say the man's wife recently moved out, and the 3-year-old girl split time between the parents.
Investigators were at the home through the night gathering evidence.
The names of the deceased were not released.
Upcoming Events near Longmont
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Ft. Collins woman condition improving after crashing into school bus
- Wattenberg residents unable to drink water because of high Nitrates
- Armed ‘school marshals’ to patrol Larimer County elementary schools
- Firefighters get ready for wildfire season by setting fires
- Ft. Collins police investigate criminal mischief to parked cars
- Two arrested in big Longmont fire
- Large stack of railroad ties burns in Longmont; 2 in custody for questioning
- Police search for homeless suspect in stabbing at Longmont gas station
- Woman reported missing from Longmont found dead
- Police investigate who provided alcohol to teens after drunk girl hospitalized