Man kills 3-year-old daughter, then commits suicide | News
LONGMONT, Colo. -- Longmont police say a man who had custody of his 3-year-old daughter for the weekend shot and killed her and then shot himself to death.
Investigators say the girl's mother dropped her off at the house in the 1200 block of Red Mountain Dr. Friday afternoon.
She went to pick her up Sunday, but couldn't reach the father. She called police to ask them to conduct a welfare check. That's when police found the man and girl dead.
Investigators say the 38-year-old man left a suicide note.
"It appears to be pretty straight-forward, but we still need to make sure that we look at all the angles and just make sure that it's presenting as indicated," Longmont police spokesman Jeffrey Satur says.
Neighbors say the man's wife recently moved out, and the 3-year-old girl split time between the parents.
Investigators were at the home through the night gathering evidence.
The names of the deceased were not released.
Upcoming Events near Longmont
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Second person of interest arrested in connection with shooting of officer
- Larimer County deputies investigating body found by ditch in Ft Collins
- Fire officials: Grass fire north of Fort Collins sparked by power line failure
- Ft. Collins police detective arrested on harassment, domestic violence charges
- CO Supreme Court censures Larimer judge over accusations of improper conduct
- Longmont police looking for buttocks-grabbing cyclist
- Man who died in fiery Longmont crash remembered at vigil
- Police: Victims walk away with minor injuries after crash with semi
- Report: 2nd teen dies following weekend stabbing at Longmont party
- BCSO: Man shot by deputies drew handgun, but weapon jammed